The Whitgift Foundation
The Whitgift Foundation is a registered charity with the aim of providing education for the young and care for the elderly in Croydon and the surrounding areas. Established in 1596 by the former Archbishop of Canterbury John Whitgift, The Whitgift Foundation comprises of:
- Three schools – Old Palace of John Whitgift (girls), Trinity School (boys with a co-educational sixth form) and Whitgift School (boys).
- Whitgift Care – three care homes, Whitgift House, Wilhelmina House and the Whitgift Almshouses offering a range of care provision including sheltered accommodation, full nursing care, residential care, respite and day care.
- The Carers’ Information Service – provides free information, support, advice and training to an estimated 34,000 carers in Croydon and manages the Carers Support Centre, 24 George Street.
The Whitgift Foundation currently supports approximately 45% of current pupils in its schools through financial ‘means tested’ bursaries. This equates to just over £5million a year to enable talented young people to benefit from the outstanding education provided by the schools and amounting to one of the largest school fee support schemes in the UK.